Get swept away in the beauty and complexity of music as you pursue a Bachelor of Arts in Music!
At SXU, music represents more than a collection of sounds; it represents the development of a rich history and the exploration of what lies ahead.
- Performance: Learn the technique and skills in one or more areas of music, beyond basic musicianship at a level consistent with a liberal arts degree and gain a deep understanding of a variety of musical styles.
- Musicianship: Develop your own musical style as you work conceptually with elements of music and read musical notation.
- Composition: Experiment with a wide selection of musical literature, compositional processes and aesthetic properties of style, and recognize the ways they shape, and are shaped by, artistic and cultural forces.
- History and Repertory: Discover the origin of musical genres, their cultural impacts and the depth of principal musical eras.
- Synthesis: Develop and defend musical judgments.
With a combination of classroom and individual instruction, your faculty can get to know you and guide you along your journey to success.
- You have greater opportunity for performance -- including leading roles in opera performances or solo pieces with choral and instrumental ensembles.
- You work one-on-one with a faculty mentor to prepare for your Senior Project Presentation or Senior Recital that demonstrates the culmination of your music studies.
SXU celebrates musical arts with large and small ensembles and musical events held throughout the academic year. Whether you are performing or attending with your friends and family, you can look forward to these annual concerts and more:
- Flute Choir
- Christmas Spectacular
- Jazz Night
- Jazz Festival
- Senior Recital
Bonus Scholarship Options
When you apply to SXU as a Music major, you will audition with the Music Department in your area of expertise. In doing so, you will also be considered for music scholarships and talent awards that can be added to other forms of Financial Aid.
Versatile Career Options
A major in Music gives you the freedom to explore your interests and choose electives that excite you, which prepare you for a broad range of career options geared toward your interests. Some of the option could include:
- Event producer, manager or coordinator
- Sound technician
If you are interested in a more specialized field, you may consider graduate school.
The Music Department at SXU is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.