B.A. in Music
The SXU Music Department's Bachelor of Arts in Music gives students the opportunity to grow as musicians and artists with multiple paths of emphasis to choose from.
The B.A. in Music provides students the knowledge, opportunities and skills for today's exciting professions in music and empower students to pursue their passions.
The Music Department offers three B.A. paths, including two NEW emphases:
- Jazz and Commercial Music
- Classical Performance
Through these unique new areas of study, students can study a diversity of genres including jazz, rock, funk, pop, R&B, classical, contemporary, and many more.
- Performance: Learn the technique and skills in one or more areas of music, beyond basic musicianship at a level consistent with a liberal arts degree and gain a deep understanding of a variety of musical styles.
- Musicianship: Develop your own musical style as you work conceptually with elements of music and read musical notation.
- Composition: Experiment with a wide selection of musical literature, compositional processes and aesthetic properties of style, and recognize the ways they shape, and are shaped by, artistic and cultural forces.
- History and Repertory: Discover the origin of musical genres, their cultural impacts and the depth of principal musical eras.
- Synthesis: Develop and defend musical judgments.
Courses by Emphasis
Bachelor of Arts in Music
- Music Core : 53 to 55 Credits
Bachelors of Arts - Jazz & Commercial Music Emphasis
- Music Core + 12 Credits in Jazz and Commercial Courses
- Music Business Foundations
- Jazz Theory and Improvisation
- Composition and Production
- Jazz History
- Junior Recital
Bachelors of Arts - Performance Emphasis (Classical Voice & Instrumental)
- Music Core + 12 Credits in Music Performance-based Courses
- Additional credits in Applied Music
- Applied Pedagogy & Literature
- Junior Recital
With small classroom sizes and one-on-one private lessons, the faculty can get to know you and guide you along your journey to success.
- You have greater opportunity for performance -- including leading roles in opera performances, solo features in ensembles, able to perform in multiple ensembles, and compose, produce, and record your original works.
- You work one-on-one with our faculty to prepare for your performance and lecture recitals that demonstrates the culmination of your music studies.
Performance ExperiencesSXU celebrates musical arts with large and small ensembles and musical events held throughout the academic year.
All ensembles are open to music majors, minors, and non-majors. Our ensembles include:
- University Band
- University Chorale
- Jazz Ensemble
- Commercial Band
- Chamber Singers
- Jazz Combos
- Saxophone Ensemble
- Percussion Ensemble
- Chamber Music Ensemble
- Guitar Ensemble
- Flute Ensemble
Bonus Scholarship Options
When you apply to SXU as a Music major, you will audition with the Music Department in your area of expertise. In doing so, you will also be considered for music scholarships and talent awards that can be added to other forms of Financial Aid.
Versatile Career OptionsA Bachelors of Arts in Music from SXU will equip students for a diversity of careers in music including:
- Performers in jazz, classical, and commercial music
- Composers and Arrangers
- Music Producers
- Music Managers
- Music Therapists
- Music Publishers
The Music Department at SXU is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
A student wishing to study as a music major or minor must audition for admission to the Music Department as a music major or music minor candidate.Learn more
Suggested Academic Plan
View a suggested four-year academic plan to complete your degree in four years!View