Music Learning Outcomes
Saint Xavier University is dedicated to providing top-quality education that is intentionally designed to develop your skills and expertise as you prepare for the next step in your education or career. The learning outcomes reflect the specific competencies that you will gain from our Music program, while the curriculum map portrays how these competencies will shape and prepare you for the real world.
- Performance -- Students will develop knowledge and skills in one or more areas of music, beyond basic musicianship at a level consistent with a liberal arts degree, and will understand procedures for realizing a variety of musical styles.
- Musicianship -- Students will develop the ability to identify and work conceptually with elements of music and read and understand musical notation.
- Composition -- Students will understand compositional processes, aesthetic properties of style and the ways these shape and are shaped by artistic and cultural forces.
- History and Repertory -- Students will be acquainted with a wide selection of musical literature, the principal eras, genres and cultural sources.
- Synthesis -- Students will develop and defend musical judgments.