B.A. in Political Science
Are you motivated by critical issues such as globalization, civil rights, the environment, developing countries or foreign policy? Do you contemplate public policies such as education, health care, gun control or environmental protection? Are you passionate about making a better, more just and more stable society? If you said, "Yes!" to any of those questions, political science could be the right major for you.
Why Study Political Science at Saint Xavier University?
Political science studies how social power is used to distribute social goods and how a society might want to distribute those goods. Who gets educated? Who gets healed? Who gets to decide these issues? These are political questions that affect you now and in the future.
Studying political science at Saint Xavier will help you decide how you answer those questions and how the behaviors of society affect how they answered in reality. Taking what you learn in the classroom into an internship, student association or simulation, you can see how you want to work to change society, which gives you the insight into what you think needs to be done and the practical tools to help you achieve it.
Gain real-world experience in the heart of politics. Each semester, students are offered the opportunity to intern in Washington D.C. with organizations such as:
- The Office of the Attorney General
- S. Department of Education
- Youth Service America
- Poverty and Race Research Action Council
You may also be interested in an internship in Chicago, as recent students have worked with State Representative Robert Rita, Chicago Police Department, US Senator Tammy Duckworth and several local law offices.
- Take learning outside the classroom. With extra-curricular activities like the annual American Model United Nations Delegation and the annual Mock Trial team competition, you engage with your curriculum and have fun doing it!
- Impact your society. At SXU, you discover ways to analyze how things are, envision how they might be better and gain the skills to make that vision real. You will not only learn about the field of political science, but you will contribute to that field.
- Become a leader. Get involved with the Model UN and Pre-Law student organizations or the Phi Chi chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha National Honor Society in Political Science. Strong training in the classroom, practical experiences in leadership and public service prepare you for a meaningful career and lifelong learning.
- Explore your own interests. Dive into your passions with electives like Politics and Film, Women and Politics, National Security Policy, Urban Politics, Latin American Politics, Politics and Superheroes, or War, Peace and Alliances, among others.
- Conduct deep research. Consider what constitutes justice in the distribution of social values; examine competing definitions of equality and liberty as constitutive of national identity; analyze figures and movements. In culmination of your research efforts throughout your academic journey, you will compete a thesis based on your own research, and you can present your work at the SXU Research Expo. Watch a recap from the 2019 SXU Research Expo!
Join a History of Success
After completing the Political Science program at SXU, you become a powerful candidate to join a variety of career fields, including:
- Political science and government
- International relations and national security
- Criminal justice
- Health administration
SXU has been a part of the life of Chicago nearly two centuries. Generations of SXU political science students have gone on to work in law, government, journalism and education to improve the lives of our communities. Recent alumni have taken on positions as:
- Public Policy Counsel, Amazon
- Market Research Analysts, Datassential
- Director of Defense and Foreign Policy Studies, Niskanen Center, George Mason University
- Operations Supervisor, White Lodging Services
- Director of Special Projects, Resource Renewal Institute
- Marketing Specialist, JS Paluch
Suggested Academic Plan
View a suggested four-year academic plan to complete your degree in four years!View