International Studies Major
As an International Studies major, you can explore the world outside the United States from a variety of perspectives. Giving you tools from anthropology, politics, literature and history, International Studies guides you in investigating how different cultures, societies and peoples exist and interact.
Explore how our current world came to be, how different cultures organize their societies, and how state interactions affect our daily lives. Develop cross-cultural awareness and find solutions to the global problems we face, such as refugee relief, economic crises and climate change.
Learn what it takes to make your impact on an international level. And make it happen, with SXU as your guide and lifelong support.
What Will I Learn?
- Global Awareness: Develop a nuanced perspective of your place in the world, cultural interactions, and how global problems should be addressed. Identify and assess basic social issues, politics and culture of one geographic region of the world.
- International and Domestic Relations: Learn about different cultures, societies and global issues from a variety of perspectives, using various historical, cultural and social scientific approaches to understand how international relations affect domestic relations.
- Critical Thinking: Learn how to question arguments, challenge assumptions and evaluate evidence, and enhance your own skills at constructing sound arguments.
- Communication: Formulate and defend a thesis, both in writing and presentation, with confidence in your research and communication skills.
- Problem-Solving: Become a better problem-solver as you articulate your research question and implement a research program using your custom design and appropriate methodologies.
- Leadership: Develop skills to resolve conflicts and enhance cooperation in working with others, both in and out of class.
- Experience: You will have opportunities to apply what you learn in internships, foreign study, simulations and independent research, demonstrating the experience employers seek.
- Professionalism: Your experiences and learning will prepare you to interact confidently with others in local and global professional organizations.
Study the World -- All Across the World
At SXU, you can experience the world in a new, enriching way! Spend a semester studying abroad, immersing yourself in the culture and customs of your chosen destination. Recent students have studied in:
- Paris, France
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Seoul, Korea
- Lima, Peru
Visit the Center for International Education for more information about studying abroad.
Pursue innovative internships around the U.S.
Each semester, you will have the opportunity to intern in Washington D.C. with organizations such as:
- The Office of the Attorney General
- S. Department of Education
- Youth Service America
- Poverty and Race Research Action Council
You may also be interested in an internship in Chicago, as recent students have worked with State Representative Robert Rita, Chicago Police Department, US Senator Tammy Duckworth and several local law offices.
Related Majors and Minors
|History Major||Political Science Major||Political Communication and Advocacy Major|
|Digital Humanities Minor||Public Administration Minor||Spanish Minor|
If you have additional questions, please contact:
Office of Admission
Phone: 844-GOTO-SXU (844-468-6798)