Sociology Learning Outcomes
Saint Xavier University is dedicated to providing top-quality education that is intentionally designed to develop your skills and expertise as you prepare for the next step in your education or career. The learning outcomes reflect the specific competencies that you will gain from our sociology (SOC) program, our anthropology (ANTHRO) minor, and our criminal justice (CJ) program while the curriculum map portrays how these competencies will shape and prepare you for the real world.
Students will understand and utilize the following concepts:
- Sociological Perspective: Students will demonstrate an understanding of the social and contextual factors that shape human behavior.
- Social Structure: Students will demonstrate a greater knowledge of the organization and dynamics of social life.
- Social Inequality: Students will demonstrate an understanding of diverse forms of social stratification, inequality and difference that exist in society with particular attention to race, gender, age, and class.
- Theories and Methods: Students will articulate an understanding of the basic concepts of sociological theory and the basic principles and methods of social science research.
- Critical Thinking: Students will demonstrate a capacity to think critically and sociologically about the important social issues of the day.