The Learning Center/Writing Studio
The Learning Center/Writing Studio can assist with the following services:
- Individual and group tutoring in content areas
- Supplemental instruction in chemistry
- Drop-in tutoring
- Writing assistance
- Study and writing skills workshops
- Accommodations for students with documented
- Testing accommodations
Center for Accessibility Resources
For military/veteran students who require accessibility accommodations while pursuing their education at SXU, the Center for Accessibility Resources offers the following:
- extended time for testing
- distraction reduced environment for testing
- use of computer/word processor for written exams
- use of Kurzwell 3000 for class assignments and reading tests aloud
- priority registration
- books on tape
- class assignments clarified and broken down into
Student Success Program
The Student Success Program (SSP) is a federally funded program designed to increase the graduation rates of its participants. SSP assists and motivates students toward the successful completion of their bachelor's degree by offering the following services:
- academic workshops
- academic advising
- personal and career counseling
- academic monitoring
- peer mentoring
- laptop loaner program
- special events
- student leadership opportunities
The Student Success Program is open to Saint Xavier students who meet the following requirements:
- citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- first-generation college student (neither parent nor guardian has a bachelor's degree)
- from a low-income family (as defined by the federal government)
- documented physical, emotional or learning disability
Students who meet any of the above criteria are encouraged to apply. Please contact the Student Success Program at firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by room L-111. Best of luck at SXU!
The Saint Xavier Counseling Center is staffed by professional counselors licensed in the State of Illinois and is dedicated
to the mental, emotional and developmental health of our students. We provide a thorough
intake/triage assessment process to determine the needs of students seeking service.
After this evaluation is completed, students may receive short-term, solution-focused
counseling with a counselor in the Counseling Center, or will receive a referral for
off campus services from an extensive network of providers. Where appropriate, referrals
will be made in concert with the VA. If a referral is given, a counselor will help
the student make the connection and provide follow-up to make sure the services are
meeting their needs.
In addition, the Counseling Center has yearly confidential screenings for anxiety, depression and alcohol related issues.
center for success
Employers look for the entire "package" when selecting good candidates to fill their
positions. In particular, they generally seek out candidates who possess strong skills
in the areas of teamwork, discipline, time management, leadership, problem solving
and communication. Candidates who have completed any amount of military service exhibit
all of these characteristics. These qualities, coupled with the academic skills enhanced
by a college education, truly give veterans a competitive edge in the job market.
Visit the Center for SUCCESS Veteran Student Resources page to learn more about all of the support provided to students.
- SXU College to Career Expo: Held each semester, the fair brings a variety of organizations to campus to recruit SXU students and alumni.
- Workshops and Programs: Topics include Major/Career Choice, Résumé and Cover Letter
Writing, Networking Skills, Internship/Job Searching, and Interviewing Techniques.
- Resumes Walk-ins: Students and alumni can visit L-208 for quick questions and résumé reviews without an appointment every weekday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.