We are very happy that you have chosen to continue your education with us and we hope your experience at Saint Xavier is enjoyable and rewarding.
The Learning Center/Writing Studio
The following services offered in the Learning Center/Writing Studio could be beneficial for Veterans:
- individual and group tutoring in content areas
- supplemental instruction in chemistry
- drop-in tutoring
- writing assistance
- study and writing skills workshops
- accommodations for students with documented disabilities
- testing accommodations
- computer Lab
Center for Accessibility Resources
The following Center for Accessibility Resources could be helpful to those veterans requiring disability accommodations:
- extended time for testing
- distraction reduced environment for testing
- use of computer/word processor for written exams
- use of Kurzwell 3000 for class assignments and reading tests aloud
- priority registration
- books on tape
- class assignments clarified and broken down into smaller segments
Student Success Program
The Student Success Program (SSP) is a federally funded program designed to increase the graduation rates of its participants. SSP assists and motivates students toward the successful completion of their bachelor's degree by offering the following services:
- academic workshops
- academic advising
- personal and career counseling
- academic monitoring
- peer mentoring
- laptop loaner program
- special events
- student leadership opportunities
The Student Success Program is open to Saint Xavier students who meet the following requirements:
- citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- first generation college student (neither parent nor guardian has a bachelor's degree)
- from a low income family (as defined by the federal government)
- documented physical, emotional or learning disability
SSP is designed to make college life easier for you. Students who meet any of the above criteria are encouraged to apply. Please contact the Student Success Program at firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by room L-111. Best of luck at SXU!
The Saint Xavier Counseling Center is staffed by professional counselors licensed in the State of Illinois and is dedicated to the mental, emotional and developmental health of our students. We provide a thorough intake/triage assessment process to determine the needs of students seeking service. After this evaluation is completed, students may receive short-term, solution-focused counseling with a counselor in the Counseling Center, or will receive a referral for off-campus services from an extensive network of providers. Where appropriate, referrals will be made in concert with the VA. If a referral is given, a counselor will help the student make the connection and provide follow-up to make sure the services are meeting their needs.
In addition, the Counseling Center has yearly confidential screenings for anxiety, depression and alcohol related issues.
Center for SUCCESS
Employers look for the entire "package" when selecting good candidates to fill their positions. In particular, they generally seek out candidates who possess strong skills in the areas of teamwork, discipline, time management, leadership, problem solving and communication. Candidates who have completed any amount of military service exhibit all of these characteristics. These qualities, coupled with the academic skills enhanced by a college education, truly give veterans a competitive edge in the job market.
Visit the Center for SUCCESS Veteran Student Resources page to learn more about all of the support provided to students.
- SXU College to Career Expo: Held each semester, the fair brings a variety of organizations to campus to recruit SXU students and alumni.
- Workshops and Programs: Topics include Major/Career Choice, Résumé and Cover Letter Writing, Networking Skills, Internship/Job Searching, and Interviewing Techniques.
- Resumes Walk-ins: Students and alumni can visit L-208 for quick questions and résumé reviews without an appointment every weekday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Religious and Spiritual Support Services
The Mercy Ministry Center and the Office of Campus Ministry are ready to provide you with the resources and opportunities you'll need for religious, spiritual and social growth during your time at Saint Xavier University.
Mercy Ministry Center
The Mercy Ministry Center invites veterans to join in its activities and programs that support the University's efforts to be focused on and intentional about addressing its mission:
Saint Xavier University, a Catholic institution inspired by the heritage of the Sisters of Mercy, educates men and women to search for truth, to think critically, to communicate effectively, and to serve wisely and compassionately in support of human dignity and the common good. (Saint Xavier University Mission Statement)
The Mercy Ministry Center welcomes veterans to a new series of programs, discussion groups and social opportunities especially designed for them and members of their families.
- Members of the Sisters of Mercy, the religious community of women who founded and sponsor Saint Xavier University, will be available to meet with, to listen to, to discuss with and to advocate for our servicemen and women and their family members. Please stop by A-219 in the Warde Academic Center to explore possibilities or call 773-298-3981.
- Join us on Mercy Day, September 24, when the University celebrates the heritage of the University's founders the Sisters of Mercy.
- Attend Mission Day, in mid-March, when the University honors the exceptional service contributions of its students, faculty and staff members.
Grounded in the Catholic faith and immersed in the heritage of the Sisters of Mercy, Campus Ministry seeks to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, while also affirming the diversity of traditions within our faith community.
All are welcome, regardless of faith tradition, to participate in reflection and prayer, service and social justice projects, small faith sharing groups, retreats and student ministries. Mass is celebrated in McDonough Chapel Monday through Friday at noon, with the exception of Wednesday when there is an ecumenical and interfaith communal prayer service. Sunday Student Mass is celebrated at 8 p.m. These masses are held only during the academic year.
McDonough Chapel and the Mercy Ministry Center are open year-round Monday through Friday. Our campus chaplain, a Dominican priest and a lieutenant colonel in the Illinois Air National Guard, who has served in Germany hospitals and in the Middle East, is especially understanding of the veterans' needs.
Please visit Campus Ministry in McDonough Chapel and the Mercy Ministry Center, visit the hall ministers in Regina, Pacelli and Quad Halls, or contact us at 773-298-3900 or email@example.com.