The Nurse Educator serves as faculty or in other educator roles teaching students, nurses, patients and caregivers across the continuum of care in a variety of settings. The NE meets the National League for Nursing (NLN) Core Competencies for the Academic Nurse Educator. The NE utilizes in-depth knowledge in an identified area of advanced nursing practice and health assessment, pathophysiology and pharmacology to design, implement and evaluate activities. Upon completion of the program, this individual is eligible to sit for the Certified Nurse Educator (CNE) certification exam offered by the NLN.
In addition to the 27 credit hours of core and supportive courses, students complete 11 credit hours in specialty courses that provide the foundation for educator role functions. Students complete 225 practicum hours in this specialty track.
Program of Study for the Nurse Educator Track
I. Core Courses (18 credit hours)
- NURSG 517: Health Care Systems and Financing (3)
- NURSG 504: Philosophical and Theoretical Foundations of Advanced Nursing Practice (3)
- NURSG 509: Nursing Inquiry (3)
- NURSG 544: Epidemiology and Population Based Health Care (3)
- NURSG 557: Information Technology and Health Care Outcomes (3)
- NURSG 553: Culture, Communication and Conflict Resolution in Interprofessional Practice (3)
II. Supportive Courses (9 credit hours)
- NURSG 502: Advanced Health Assessment (3)
- NURSG 503: Advanced Pathophysiology (3)
- NURSG 512: Advanced Pharmacology (3)
III. Specialty Courses (11 credit hours)
- NURSG 608: Nurse Educator Role (2)
- NURSG 609: Clinical Practice Specialty (2)
- NURGP 609: Clinical Practice Specialty Practicum (1)
- NURSG 610: Learning Principles and Instructional Methods for the Adult Learner (2)
- NURGP 610: Learning Principles and Instructional Methods for the Adult Learner Practicum (1)
- NURSG 611: Nurse Educator Capstone (2)
- NURGP 611: Nurse Educator Capstone Practicum (1)
The School of Nursing and Health Sciences reserves the right to amend policies and procedures, and other program information as necessary. All changes will be communicated promptly.