Off-Campus Course Policy
Once enrolled at SXU, students generally complete their coursework at the University. However, students may petition to take a course at another accredited institution. Generally, no more than 12 credit hours can be taken off campus after enrollment at Saint Xavier. ENGL 120, COMM 101, FYS 175, MATH 095, MATH 099 and PHIL 140 must be taken at Saint Xavier University. Other specific programmatic restrictions may also apply (for example: Nursing Students in the School of Nursing and Health Sciences must complete all science courses at SXU). Students should consult the catalog and their academic advisor to determine the specific restrictions for their major or minor.
Students who wish to take a course from another accredited institution must contact the Transfer Student Services Center (A-208) to obtain an off-campus course approval form prior to taking the course. At this time, a staff member from the Transfer Student Services Center will review student eligibility and determine approval requirements.
In order to ensure that the course being proposed for transfer credit is needed and will fulfill a program requirement as requested, the student must indicate on the off-campus approval form which requirement is being met. For example, does the course satisfy the Major, Minor, Elective or a specific General Education requirement? Once student obtains advisor approval, a Transfer Center staff member will get final approval from the school in which the major resides.Courses taken without this prior approval will not be accepted for transfer credit.
In addition to the general University transfer credit policy, the following rules apply:
- Courses that have been failed or in which the student did not earn a minimum acceptable grade at SXU cannot be retaken for credit outside of Saint Xavier University.
- Course grades earned away from SXU must meet the requirements of the University program into which they are being credited.
- Students cannot take a class off campus in a higher level than which they were placed by the SXU placement tests.
- Students on academic probation cannot take courses at another college without permission from the assistant provost in the Office of Records and Registration.
- Only courses that have received prior approval will be accepted for transfer credit.
- An official transcript must be submitted to the Office of Records and Registration to receive transfer credit.
- Off-campus course/s will not factor into the SXU GPA.