Student Commencement Speaker
Guidelines for 2022 Commencement
Saint Xavier University invites students -- undergraduate and graduate -- to apply
to be a commencement speaker. It is a distinguished honor for a student to be selected
to present a commencement speech; one that may be included on a resume.
One student will be selected from either the School of Nursing & Health Sciences or Graham School of Management to deliver an address at the May 7 ceremony at 9:30am.
One student will be selected from the College of Arts & Sciences to deliver an address at the May 7 ceremony at 2:30pm.
Speeches should address the following:
- How have you been shaped by the mission of SXU, which is rooted in our Mercy heritage? Include examples from collegiate life, course work, co-curricular involvement, service, reflection on a Core Value, peer and other relationships developed, etc.
- Saint Xavier University just celebrated its 175th anniversary. Speak to the transformative power of being immersed in an SXU Mercy education; specifically, how the 175 year legacy of the Sisters of Mercy and Saint Xavier has transformed your life.
- What does the phrase "calling all doers" mean to you? How have you been "called as a doer" or challenged others to this call?
- Share information about your personal development and future outlook -- speaking to "the best in you."
- How have your personal experiences as a student shaped your educational journey at SXU and developed a desire for you to want to make a change in the world?
The speech should:
- Utilize language that is inspiring, yet accessible
- Appeal to and capture the attention of a broad audience
- Be inclusive of the undergraduate and graduate student experience
- Include creative and appealing techniques such as metaphors, stories, brief quotes or humor
- Illuminate the universal experience of being a student
- Be structured around a Mercy theme using descriptive examples reflective of the broader student experience at SXU
- Be three to four minutes in length, or approximately 700 words
A committee will select the student speakers.
The committee utilizes the following rubric as an evaluative tool for each speech
and speech presentation:
|The Student's Speech||Poor||Average||Very Good||Excellent|
|Thoughtfully reflects on how his/her personal experiences at SXU have shaped his/her journey|
|Thoughtfully reflects on the impact of a Mercy Education, uses specific examples as well as effective language to illustrate his/her message|
|Appeals to a broad audience of graduates, guests, and SXU community members|
|The Student||Poor||Average||Very Good||Excellent|
|Effectively engages the audience and holds its attention|
|Uses appropriate pronunciation, volume and inflection|
|Maintains eye contact throughout the presentation|
|Displays appropriate self-confidence and comfort speaking before an audience|
Complete the SXU Student Commencement Speaker Application 2022 Form by Friday, March 25, 2022, which includes the required items listed below.
- Statement of interest that includes contact information (phone number and SXU email)
- Written draft of speech
- Current resume that includes academic achievements, research, campus involvement and volunteerism