Courtenay Vihtelic joined the School of Nursing and Health Sciences (SONHS) faculty as a full-time assistant professor in August 2022. She is a proud graduate of SXU with a degree in early childhood education. After several years of working in education, she decided to pursue a career in nursing. She began her nursing career as a critical care registered nurse focusing her work on post-surgical heart patients. From there, she pursued her master's in nursing at Lewis University and became a family nurse practitioner (FNP). She worked for several years in an internal medicine practice independently caring for patients with both acute and chronic health conditions. She currently works in an outpatient cardiology clinic along with her full-time faculty role in SONHS. She enjoys spending time with her husband, three young children, and their energetic dog, Marty.
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), Nurse Practitioner
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
University of Illinois Chicago
B.S. in Education
Saint Xavier University
Areas of Specialization
- Primary care
- Critical care
- Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN), Illinois.
- APRN Controlled Substance, Illinois.
- Registered Nurse (RN), Illinois.
- Family Nurse Practitioner, Board Certified.
Chair Specialized Clinical Interests
- Internal medicine.
- Heart failure.
- Ischemic cardiac disease.
- NURS 221: Intro to Clinical Practice
- NURS 334: Clinical Practice I
- NURS 449: Nursing Pharmacology II
- Summa Cum Laude, Saint Xavier University.
- Magna Cum Laude, University of Illinois Chicago.
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, member.