When to Call 3911
Public Safety Dispatch
If a situation arises where you need Public Safety, or unsure if you think it requires Public Safety call 3911 (This is the SXU Emergency Line). The trained Emergency Dispatcher will assist you. In the event of an emergency that requires immediate assistance from the police, fire department or ambulance call 3911 or 911. Examples include:
- A fire, explosion, smelling smoke, burning smell;
- A crime, especially if in progress, also suspicious person (s)/activity;
- A car crash, especially if someone is injured;
- A medical emergency, such as someone who is unconscious, gasping for air or not breathing, experiencing an allergic reaction, having chest pain, having uncontrollable bleeding, or any other symptoms that require immediate medical attention.
Important: If you're not sure whether the situation is a true emergency, officials recommend calling 911 and letting the call-taker determine whether you need emergency help.
When you call either 3911 or 911, be prepared to answer the call-taker's questions, which may include:
- The location of the emergency, including the street address, building (Warde-Shannon-Andrew, etc.);
- The phone number you are calling from and your name-number;
- The nature of the emergency;
- Details about the emergency, such as a physical description of a person who may have committed a crime, a description of any fire that may be burning, or a description of injuries or symptoms being experienced by a person having a medical emergency (This includes if they are male-female, approximate age, are they conscious or not, bleeding and location).
Remember, the call-taker's questions are important to get the right kind of help to you quickly.
Be prepared to follow any instructions the call-taker gives you. Many 911 centers can tell you exactly what to do to help in an emergency until help arrives, such as providing step-by-step instructions to aid someone who is choking or needs first aid or CPR.
Finally, do not hang up until the call-taker instructs you to.
For all non-emergency Public Safety requests, please call Ext 4400 or 3541.