Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the American Heart Association has provided guidance regarding card extensions. Per this guidance, AHA provider cards will remain valid for 120 days beyond their expiration date. See the Interim Guidance on Card Extensions During COVID-19 Outbreak (PDF) for full details.
The SXU Health Center offers CPR classes for students, staff, faculty, and members of the community. Our instructors are all certified through the American Heart Association (AHA).
Below are classes we offer and their descriptions:
The American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare provider's course, which fulfills the CPR requirement for health professionals and student health professionals, is designed to train healthcare providers to save the lives of victims in cardiac arrest through high-quality cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). The course covers rescue techniques for adults, children and infants.
You will be trained to:
- Promptly recognize cardiac arrest
- Give high-quality chest compressions
- Deliver appropriate ventilations
- Clear airway obstructions (choking)
- Provide early use of an automated external defibrillator (AED)
Students who successfully complete the skills and written testing will receive an AHA BLS card that is valid for 2 years.
**During the COVID-19 pandemic, BLS for Healthcare Providers will be taught in the HeartCode® format, which is a blended learning option offered by the American Heart Association. HeartCode® uses a variety of eLearning assets such as dramatizations, eSimulations, animations, self-directed learning, and interactive activities to teach students BLS knowledge and skills. Once the online portion is completed the student must complete an in-person hands-on skills session in order to become certified.
The American Heart Association's Heartsaver® course is designed to teach non-healthcare providers what to do in the case of a sudden cardiac arrest until emergency medical services arrive. The complete course covers rescue techniques for adults, children and infants; however, each module may be completed separately depending on specific job requirements (e.g. adult only, child only, infant only). Students learn how to give high-quality chest compressions, manage choking, and use an automated external defibrillator (AED). Each student that successfully completes the course receives a certification card that denotes which modules were completed (adult, child, and/or infant).
An optional First Aid section can be added to the Heartsaver® CPR module. The Heartsaver/First Aid class lasts 6 hours if it is all completed in the classroom. Another option is a blended learning format, where students complete some sections online and then demonstrate the skills with the instructor. The classroom portion lasts about 2.5 hours.
We do not regularly schedule Heartsaver® classes unless there is an interest. Please call 773-298-3712 to discuss availability and pricing.
The Family & Friends® CPR Course teaches the lifesaving skills of adult Hands-Only CPR, adult CPR with breaths, child CPR with breaths, adult and child AED use, infant CPR, and mild and severe airway block (choking) for adults, children, and infants.
Family & Friends® CPR is for people who want to learn CPR but do not need a CPR course completion card to meet a job requirement. This course is ideal for community groups, new parents, grandparents, babysitters, and others interested in learning how to save a life.
We do not regularly schedule Family & Friends® classes unless there is an interest. Please call 773-298-3712 to discuss availability and pricing.
BLS Class Schedule
Below is the most recent schedule for the BLS for Healthcare Providers classes. Classes are held at the SXU Health Center classroom, located at 3925 W. 103rd St. Please enter the classroom (DC 3921-1) through the main entrance of the Health Center.
**During the COVID-19 pandemic, BLS for Healthcare Providers will be taught in the HeartCode® format, which is a blended learning option offered by the American Heart Association. This will allow us to keep small sessions (max 4 students plus one instructor) for the skills testing sessions. Students must complete the online portion of the class and present a completion certificate before they can attend the skills testing. Please allow up to 90 minutes for the skills testing.
|Date||Time(s) for Skills Testing|
|December 14, 2020||9 a.m.|
|December 14, 2020||11 a.m.|
|December 15, 2020||9 a.m.|
|December 15, 2020||3 p.m.|
|December 15, 2020||5:30 p.m.|
|December 16, 2020||9 a.m.|
|December 17, 2020||5:30 p.m.|
|December 18, 2020||9 a.m.|
|December 18, 2020||12:30 p.m.|
|December 21, 2020||9 a.m.|
|December 28, 2020||9 a.m.|
To register call the Health Center at 773-298-3712:
- The cost for HeartCode® BLS is:
- $50 for SXU students, employees and alumni*
- $60 for community members*
- This includes the online course, in-person skills testing and CPR Certification e-card.
- Payment is required in full at the time of the reservation; we accept cash, checks, debit and credit cards.
- Once you have successfully registered you will receive a link to the online training which must be completed before you come for the skills testing.
*This fee is non-refundable
- Bring a picture I.D. on the day of the skills testing.
- Present the completion certificate from the online training on the day of the skills testing. If you do not bring your completion certificate you will not be able to participate in the skills testing.
- All participants must wear a cloth mask. The instructor will also be wearing a mask. Due to shortages we are unable to provide masks for participants.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. You will be practicing skills that require working on your hands and knees, bending, standing and lifting.
- Arrive 5 minutes early for check-in. If you arrive earlier than this you may be asked to stay in your car as we are attempting to maintain proper social distancing.
Thank you for choosing the SXU Health Center as your CPR training provider, we look forward to seeing you there!