The SXU Health Center offers CPR classes for students, staff, faculty, and members of the community. Our instructors are all certified through the American Heart Association (AHA).
BLS for Healthcare Providers
The American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare provider's course, which fulfills the CPR requirement for health professionals and student health professionals, is designed to train healthcare providers to save the lives of victims in cardiac arrest through high-quality cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). The course covers rescue techniques for adults, children and infants and generally lasts about 4 hours.
You will be trained to:
- Promptly recognize cardiac arrest
- Give high-quality chest compressions
- Deliver appropriate ventilations
- Clear airway obstructions (choking)
- Provide early use of an automated external defibrillator (AED)
Students who successfully complete the skills and written testing will receive an AHA BLS card that is valid for 2 years.
The American Heart Association's Heartsaver® course is designed to teach non-healthcare providers what to do in the case of a sudden cardiac arrest until emergency medical services arrive. The course covers rescue techniques for adults, children and infants. Students learn how to give high-quality chest compressions, manage choking, and use an automated external defibrillator (AED). The class generally lasts 3-4 hours.
An optional First Aid section can be added to the Heartsaver® CPR module. The Heartsaver/First Aid class lasts 6 hours.
We do not regularly schedule Heartsaver® classes unless there is an interest. Please call 773-298-3712 to discuss availability and pricing.
Below is the most recent schedule for the BLS for Healthcare Providers classes. Classes are held at the new SXU Health Center location (3925 W. 103rd St.). Please enter the classroom (DC 3917) through the main entrance of the Health Center.
|Thursday, August 23, 2018||11 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|Friday, August 24, 2018||9 a.m. - 1 p.m.|
To register call the Health Center at 773-298-3712 or register in person during regular Health Center hours.
- The cost is:
- $40 for SXU students, employees and alumni*
- $50 for community members*
- The fee includes the required study guide: BLS for Healthcare Providers Student Manual.
- Payment is preferred at time of registration, but can be paid in person at time of book pick-up. Payment and book pick-up must be completed no later than 3 business days before class.
*This fee is non-refundable for cancellations with less than 3 days notice and no shows; however you would be eligible to register for another class at a reduced rate of $25. We accept cash, check and credit/debit cards.
- Arrive 10 minutes early for check-in
- Present a picture I.D. on the day of training
- Bring your copy of the BLS for Healthcare Providers Student Manual and a pen to class
- Review the BLS for Healthcare Providers Student Manual before coming to class; you will learn more, will be more comfortable with the course material and will be prepared for the written exam
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing. You will be practicing skills that require working on your hands and knees, bending, standing and lifting
Thank you for choosing the SXU Health Center as your CPR training provider, we look forward to seeing you there!