B.S. in Early Childhood Education
The Early Childhood Education Program prepares candidates to work with children from birth through Grade 2. The program consists of general education and professional education courses that is designed to lead candidates through coursework arranged around the developmental stages of young children. These courses focus on the centrality of inquiry and play in children's learning. Completion of the program leads to a Bachelor of Science degree and prepares candidates to obtain an Illinois Professional Educators License with an endorsement in Early Childhood Education, ESL and an Early Childhood Special Education Letter of Approval.
Earn 3 educator credentials:
- Birth to grade 2
- ESL or bilingual education
- Early childhood special education approval
- Study an ISBE approved curriculum
- Gain the ability to plan lessons, deliver instruction, assess students' progress
- Learn from expert faculty members who are passionate about their students' success
Students will obtain:
- Knowledge of child development and developmentally appropriate practice (DAP)
- Indoor and outdoor activity ideas matched to early learning standards
- Instructional strategies for literacy, numeracy, social sciences, science, the arts
Saint Xavier University provides a unique educational experience that can advance a student teacher's career. Some of these advantages include:
- SXU's program curriculum is arranged around the developmental stages of young children.
- All field experiences and student teaching placements are handled by the Education Department.
- Field experience is divided by blocks (infant toddler, pre-K, and K-2 ) rather than attached to individual courses
- Gain a full year of student teaching instead of one semester.
For more information, please review the program requirements and course descriptions in the SXU Academic Catalog.
Want to know more about undergraduate programs at Saint Xavier University? Please fill out the form below!
Contact the Office of Admission
- Toll Free: 844-GOTO-SXU (844-468-6798)
- Fax: 773-298-3076
- Email: admissionFREESXU
- M-F: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Early Childhood Education candidates will be concurrently enrolled in professional education coursework and field/practicum experiences designed to reinforce concepts and skills learned in the university classroom. The field/practicum experience blocks are designed to provide opportunities for candidates to apply course concepts in authentic environments. Required activities and assignments provide candidates with the opportunity to connect theory and practice, and prepare candidates for daily classroom responsibilities.
Early Childhood Education teacher candidates will study the foundations and methods of teaching literacy, mathematics, science and social sciences. Candidates will observe and participate in a wide range of in-classroom teaching experiences in order to develop the skills and confidence necessary to be an effective teacher. The Early Childhood Education student teaching/clinical practice experiences have been designed as a serious apprenticeship that requires teacher candidates to spend a one academic year inside schools working alongside veteran Early Childhood educators.
Suggested Academic Plan
View a suggested four-year academic plan to complete your degree in four years!View
Meet the Faculty
Asst Professorial Lecturer