Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Elementary Education Program FAQs


Read some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about the Elementary Education Program at Saint Xavier University.

Who is eligible to apply to the program?

Any individual with a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education who meets the current admission requirements.

What if I teach at a private CPS school?

You may use your classroom for a portion of your field experiences and student teaching.

What is a cohort?

At Saint Xavier University's Education Division, a cohort is a group of graduate students who take a sequence of courses leading to a degree together.

Where do I do my field experiences?

At a site designated by SXU's Education Division. If you work at a school, you might use your school for a portion of your field experiences.

What if I leave my cohort and later decide to rejoin?

If you leave your cohort due to unforeseeable circumstances, you must meet with your advisor to discuss your options.

How do I apply for licensure?

Once you complete the required coursework and pass all the state test(s), you either attend a workshop or contact the Licensure Officer who will, after checking your records, submit an entitlement to the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) website. You must request that official transcripts be sent to ISBE. Once the entitlement has been verified, you will apply for the license to ISBE via your ELIS account. Then you register your license with the Regions where you live or wish to work. There are fees which must be paid by credit card at the time of application and registration. Continue to check your ELIS account until you see the licensed or endorsement has been issued. Once your license or endorsement has been issued, you are eligible to teach in Illinois public schools.

How many state tests are required for the license?

What if I work during the day?

All our cohort classes meet in the evening, but you have to be prepared to do your field experiences during the day (8 a.m. to 3 p.m.) when schools are in session.

What if I am already a licensed teacher?

Contact the Education Division to inquire about a focus program.

How much will the program and courses cost?

You can view the cost of the program on the Tuition and Fees page.

How do I sign up for the state tests?

You can apply online by visiting the Illinois Licensure Testing System website.