A major in communication will prepare you for a rewarding career in today's information economy. Whether you hope to manage communication strategies for a nonprofit, develop public relations and social media for a major corporation, or work in today's ever-changing media industry, Saint Xavier University's communication programs can help you succeed.
The department develops effective communicators who not only are skilled in using communication technologies but also understand that socially responsible communication is an interaction among people that requires both skill and sensitivity. Students also learn how to evaluate the effectiveness of messages produced by others.
Students majoring in communication can select from three concentrations of study:
- Strategic Communication -- this concentration is targeted to students who seek to enter into corporate communication positions or nonprofit communication positions.
- Media Communication -- this concentration is targeted to students interested in pursuing careers in the consistently changing world of modern mass media.
- Sports Communication -- this concentration is targeted to students interested in pursuing careers in sports management and sports promotion.
If desired, students may complete additional concentration areas to support their particular interests or career plans.
- Create compelling messages: You will create effective audience-centered messages.
- Critically analyze messages: You will interpret and critically respond to mediated and non-mediated messages.
- Oral communication skills: You will present messages in multiple communication modalities and contexts.
- Research skills: You will locate, evaluate and utilize credible information from various sources.
- Problem-solving skills: You will become an experienced learner who is able to identify new problems and solve them.
- Professionalism: You will be prepared to interact confidently with others in a global workplace.
- Saint Xavier University combines classroom learning with experiential learning to produce well-rounded graduates.
- You have the opportunity to develop journalism and production skills through working for student media, writing for the Xavierite or the Bell, our online campus newspaper and magazine, or hosting shows for WXAV, our campus radio station.
- Our faculty have expertise in communication and create challenging courses that are interactive and student focused.
- Small class sizes allow for close interaction with your professors and student colleagues.
- The program provides many opportunities for you to receive credit for professional internships in Chicago, Washington D.C. and throughout the nation.
- You will develop a habit of life-long learning that will prepare you for the ever-changing communication professions.
- With core values of service, integrity and excellence exemplified throughout campus, you will become a more effective citizen and an asset to your community.
Through the communication minor, students will develop both the knowledge and skills to prepare, deliver and evaluate messages in a professional setting. In addition, students will study interpersonal and small group communication, cross-cultural communication and persuasion, examining their role in businesses, government agencies, hospitals, schools and other groups. A communication minor would make an excellent addition to any major and would be especially beneficial for majors in business, English and the sciences.
If you have additional questions, please contact:
Office of Admission
Phone: 844-GOTO-SXU (844-468-6798)
Communication Student Spotlight
"My time in the Communication Department at Saint Xavier was a special time to me. These past four years have developed me into a more educated student and have prepared me for the future. The small class sizes allowed me to have more one-on-one time with the professors. I spent a lot of time creating both audio and video projects such as podcasts and mini documentaries."