Interdisciplinary Gerontology Studies
Gerontology is the study of the biological, psychological and sociological aspects of aging. Gerontology is a multidisciplinary field of study that draws on the expertise of many disciplines including business, hospitality, nursing, communication, medicine, art/film, sociology, psychology, finance. It is an interdisciplinary field in which two or more disciplines are intertwined such as gerontological nursing, elder law, gero-psychology and gerontology education. See the video or read below for more information.
There are more than 100 careers options when you major in gerontology studies! As you decide which other disciplines you would like to study alongside gerontology, you can tailor your coursework to meet your academic and career goals. With this major, you will be able to:
- Meet the high demand of the increasing adults over the age of 65 in the U.S. and globally, which creates more opportunities for services and programs designed to meet their needs.
- Work with older adults as clients, patients, partners, employers and employees, regardless of your chosen career.
- Engage with unique older adults who will share their lifetime of experiences.
- See success in how you engage with and meet the needs of an older adult.
- Through SXU's Interdisciplinary Gerontology Studies major and minor programs, you will address ALL aspects of aging that will position you for your choice of career.
- As you take classes with students from various disciplines, you expose yourself to diverse perspectives that expand your way of thinking.
- Our gerontology programs draw on the expertise of faculty across all departments who share their discipline's perspective on aging.
- You will encounter older adults throughout your time in the program, including the final capstone project that you customized to meet your discipline/career choice.
If you have additional questions, please contact:
Office of Admission
Phone: 844-GOTO-SXU (844-468-6798)
Want to know more about degree completion programs at Saint Xavier University? Please fill out the form below!