As a member of the IAI (Illinois Articulation Initiative) our participation allows students to follow a general education curriculum that will transfer smoothly from over 100 participating schools into all of the 43 undergraduate programs at SXU. Please visit our general education program web page for more information on the transfer policy for transfer/adult students.
Saint Xavier University will accept up to 70 credit hours from a community college and 90 credits from a baccalaureate college/university. SXU will accept a maximum of 90 credit hours of transfer towards a SXU degree.
How do credits transfer to SXU?
Previously earned college credit can transfer to Saint Xavier University in a number of ways.
- Associate in Arts or Science: Students who have completed an Associate in Arts or an Associate in Science from an Illinois community college fulfill Saint Xavier's general education course requirements. At Saint Xavier, students will complete the remaining courses for their academic program of choice, plus our Philosophy 150 course and a religious studies course of their choosing. (Note: A total of 120 credit hours is required to complete most bachelor's degrees.)
- Illinois Articulation Initiative/General Education Core Curriculum (IAI/GECC): Students who have successfully completed the IAI/GECC coursework have fulfilled Saint Xavier's general education course requirements. At Saint Xavier, students will complete the remaining courses for their academic program of choice, plus our Philosophy 150 course and a religious studies course of their choosing. (Note: A total of 120 credit hours is required to complete most bachelors degrees.) If a student is missing up to two courses to fulfill the IAI/GECC, the student may transfer to Saint Xavier and complete those two courses at SXU. Upon completion, the student will fulfill the IAI/GECC and thus fulfill SXU's general education course requirements.
- Course-by-course: Students who do not have an Associate of Arts or Associates of Science, or the coursework to fulfill the IAI/GECC, can transfer to Saint Xavier University at any time. We will do a course-by-course credit evaluation to determine if the individual courses taken elsewhere will transfer to SXU.
SXU is building a growing collection of transfer course equivalencies for several local community colleges. However, if your school is not listed, you can always check the helpful u.select website for more information on how your classes may transfer.
Can transfer students earn college credit in other ways?
In addition to college courses, SXU accepts credit from many different sources, including:
- CLEP (College Level Examination Program)
- Advanced Placement
- ®Excelsior Exams
- International Baccalaureate
- Portfolio Review
- American Council on Education (ACE) Credit
- SXU accepts ACE, Joint Service Transcript (JST/SMART), and DSST credit for past service