The Admission Committee is interested in applicants' academic quality and progress, recommendations from counselors and teachers, writing ability and ACT or SAT scores, as well as the ability and desire to do college work. A list of required documentation can be found under the freshman student application procedure.
High school preparation must include a minimum of 16 units (one unit of any subject consists of the work normally covered in one year).
The following subjects are strongly recommended:
|Mathematics||3 Units (Algebra, Geometry, Advanced Algebra/Trigonometry)|
|Natural and Social Sciences||4 Units Combined|
|Foreign Language||2 Units|
|Academic Electives||3 Units|
In addition, completion of a high school computer science course is considered an indication of a well-rounded academic background. Students planning to pursue programs in science, mathematics or computer science are recommended to have completed a fourth unit of high school mathematics.
General admission requirements to most majors at Saint Xavier University are a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) and a minimum 18 ACT composite or 960 SAT composite score. Applicants for some majors who do not meet these requirements may be reviewed by the University's Admission Committee for consideration.
Applicants who meet the following requirement will be considered for full admission to the Education Department:
- Minimum 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative high school grade-point average
- MInimum 18 ACT Composite or 960 SAT Composite
Students applying as a nursing major should have completed one year of high school biology and chemistry or its equivalent and at least three years of math, including advanced algebra/trigonometry or its equivalent.
Applicants who meet the following requirements will be considered for admission as a freshman nursing major:
- Minimum 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative high school grade-point average
- either the ACT or SAT test are accepted
- Required ACT scores for Nursing
- minimum ACT composite score of 21
- minimum ACT science subscore of 21
- minimum ACT math subscore of 22
- Required SAT scores for Nursing (for SAT tests taken on or after March 2016)
- minimum SAT total score of 1060
- minimum SAT Math score of 560
- minimum SAT Evidence-based Reading/Writing score of 500
- Grade of B or better in high school biology and chemistry courses
- An in-depth essay on why the applicant wants to be a nurse and why he or she has chosen Saint Xavier University
Essential Abilities and Behaviors: As part of the application process, all applicants to the School of Nursing and Health Sciences must read and agree to a list of essential abilities and behaviors.
Health Requirements: Nursing students are required to meet certain health requirements prior to starting clinical courses (in sophomore year at SXU). Students are also required to test negative for drugs in a 12 panel drug screening prior to beginning their clinical experience as required by clinical agencies. The University and School of Nursing and Health Sciences reserve the right to require random drug screenings based upon reasonable suspicion.
Background Check: Nursing students are responsible for completing and clearing a criminal background check as a condition of admission to the nursing program and must do so annually thereafter. All students shall have an ongoing duty to report any violations of this policy and/or state and/or federal law.