Mock Interview Program
A mock interview is a one-on-one simulated interview between you and an an Academic and Career Resource Advisor. The interviewer will use your submitted application materials in Handshake to generate relevant interview questions you can expect at an interview. You will receive in-depth verbal and written feedback about your interviewing skills including first impressions, non-verbal communication, verbal communication and your ability to provide appropriate responses to questions. Please note this appointment may be recorded and the staff member may review the recording with you during the appointment.
Note: You must complete mock interviews assigned by an instructor by the last Friday of the semester. The Center for SUCCESS will not conduct mock interviews during Finals Week. Please plan accordingly.
Mock Interview Registration Process
- Find a job description for a position you are interested in.
- Create or update your resume.
- Schedule a mock interview through Navigate. Email a copy of your resume to centerforsuccessFREESXU. In subject, write, 'Resume for Mock Interview'.
- Copy and paste a plain-text job description and resume into the application when prompted.
You will receive an appointment confirmation once an Academic and Career Resource Advisor reviews and approves your submitted application materials.
Tips for a Successful Mock Interview
- Arrive 10 minutes before the start of the appointment.
- Dress professionally to avoid a loss of points on the evaluation.
- Be mindful of pre-interview behavior in the waiting room.
- Bring several copies of your resume to avoid a loss of points on the evaluation.
The Center for SUCCESS reserves the right to cancel mock interviews at any time and will do so if you do not submit appropriate application materials during the appointment request process. Late arrivals and no-shows may be asked to reschedule and write a letter of apology. If you must cancel an appointment, you may do so through Handshake no earlier than 24 hours before the start time of the appointment.
For more information about interviewing, please refer to the Student Success Guide. You can also schedule an appointment with an Academic and Career Resource Advisor through Navigate to discuss general interviewing techniques.