Travel Medicine Services
The SXU Health Center is now providing consultations and immunizations for travelers! We provide travel consultations, immunizations and other health-related travel information for members of the University and the general public. Phone consultations are not provided.
We recommend that you schedule your travel consultation six to eight weeks before your trip if possible. It can take about two weeks to build up an adequate immune response in your body after an immunization, and some immunizations are given in a series. However, it is still recommended that you come in for a consultation, even if there is a short time window before your trip.
What immunizations do you need for travel to other countries? Much depends on your personal health history, immunization history and the risk of illness in the areas you plan to visit.
A travel consultation consists of:
- Review of medical and immunization history with a provider.
- Review of travel destinations to determine country-specific risks and recommendations with a provider.
- Discussion of how to minimize health risks, such as food and water precautions and treatment for traveler’s diarrhea.
- Discussion of safety precautions such as travel alerts, U.S. embassy information and health care facilities in your destination.
- Discussion of activity-specific risks, such as scuba diving and mountain climbing.
- Prescriptions may be given for travel conditions such as malaria prevention, altitude sickness prevention, traveler’s diarrhea treatment, etc.
- Time to receive immunization(s) if recommended, following your consultation. (PLEASE NOTE: Certain travel immunizations, such as Yellow Fever, will need to be ordered after your consultation and given at a later date.)
Preparing for your Travel Consultation
- Bring records of any previous immunizations prior to your appointment; and
- Bring the list of the countries to which you’re traveling in the order you’ll be visiting them.
Health insurance does not cover travel consultations or travel vaccines so this is a self-pay service. Call for our affordable rates. We can provide you with a walk-out statement if you would like to seek reimbursement from your insurance carrier.
Make an Appointment
Call 773-298-3712 to schedule an appointment.