Learning Behavior Specialist I Endorsement
Redesign Instruction and Assessment to Fit Student Needs
Becoming a special educator does not require an additional degree. As a licensed teacher, you can obtain one of the hundreds of special education positions with Saint Xavier University's LBS I endorsement program!
The three courses* are taught by expert faculty and are offered online, hybrid and face-to-face to best suit your working schedule. These courses cover topics including: characteristics of students with disabilities, diagnosis assessment for educational decision-making and methods of teaching students with disabilities.
Through this program, you will learn how to:
- Recognize the characteristics of any disability that qualifies a student for special education.
- Assess what a student already knows and what the student is ready to learn next.
- Face the challenges to learning that may be present for students with disabilities.
- Effectively provide instruction to students with a wide range of learning abilities.
- Monitor progress and redesign instruction to best meet the needs of your students.
Not sure if special education is the right path to take? Be sure to check out the Top Ten Reasons for Pursuing Special Education!
*Note: This program requires four courses (Illinois State Board of Education). However, you have likely earned credit for the fourth course, EDU 323/EDGSP 413: Survey of Students with Exceptionalities in your initial teacher licensure. SXU will evaluate your transcript to verify completion of this course.
The Learning Behavior Specialist (LBS I) endorsement prepares teachers who already hold an Illinois PEL (Professional Educator License) to teach students with disabilities. This endorsement is designed for K-12 teachers; the LBS I endorsement is issued for Kindergarten through age 22.
Please visit Admission's Apply Now page to find the appropriate application or request more information.
Want to know more about graduate programs at Saint Xavier University? Please fill out the form below!
- Email: graduateadmissionFREESXU