Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Veteran Admission FAQs

Below are frequently asked questions (FAQs) about veteran admission at Saint Xavier University.


Visit the GI Bill website to compare benefits, or contact the Veterans' Affairs Regional Office in St. Louis at 1-888-442-4551.

Visit the GI Bill website and apply for education benefits. Once the VA has processed your application, you will be mailed a Certificate of Eligibility which explains the percentage of benefits you are eligible to receive through the GI Bill. Submit a copy of the Certificate to the SXU Certifying Official in the Office of Records and Advising. You can mail or fax a copy to: Records & Advising, Saint Xavier University, 3700 West 103rd Street, Chicago, IL 60655. Fax: 773-298-3003.

Military Transcripts for veterans of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard can be requested online through the new Joint Services Transcript. Veterans of the Air Force should request transcripts through the Community College of the Air Force.

All colleges and universities are required to receive military transcripts to be evaluated for any credit towards a student's curriculum.

Saint Xavier does not need a copy of your DD214. You will need to use it to help you apply for your benefits.

If you are receiving benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33), DEA (Chapter 35), or VEAP (Chapter 32), you do NOT need to certify your attendance.

If you are receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill -- Active Duty (Chapter 30) or Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), or REAP, you need to inform the VA each month that you are still enrolled at SXU. You can do this online using WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) at or by calling 877-823-2378.

Visit the GI Bill website to complete the "Change of Program or Place of Training" form.
VA 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
VA 22-5495 Dependents' Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Chapter 35 only)

The IVG is not available for students at SXU. It is restricted by the State of Illinois to students attending public schools in Illinois.

GPA will not affect educational benefits unless you receive a failing grade in your class.

All benefits will stop and will resume once you start school again.

Yes, all institutions require that you submit official school transcripts from prior schools attended even if you did not complete the degree plan. You can submit unofficial transcripts during the application process. Please note: If official transcripts are not submitted before your second semester at SXU, you will not be able to register for your second semester and it may affect your financial aid.

A change in enrollment can affect your BAH since your housing rate is based on your rate of pursuit (enrollment). The VA will either allow you to pay the amount in full or arrange payments. In most cases they will send out a notification of your debt with instructions on how to pay. (If you know you owe or will owe a debt and they have not notified you, do not put it off. Contact them immediately.)

An essay is not required unless you are pursuing a Nursing degree or a graduate degree. Saint Xavier reserves the right to request an essay if it will assist in making an admission decision. ALL Nursing applicants must submit a one-page essay describing your reasons for pursuing a nursing degree.

Graduate students: A personal essay is required for all graduate applications.

All education benefits are approved through the VA. Saint Xavier University offers group tutoring in content areas, drop-in-tutoring, writing assistance, skills workshops, accommodations for students with documented disabilities, testing accommodations and access to computer labs. There are also career and counseling services, and religious and spiritual support services.

Eligibility for the housing allowance (BAH) is determined by a student's rate of pursuit rounded to the nearest tenth (as of August 1, 2011). The VA no longer pays break pay (effective August 1, 2011). The VA calculates rate of pursuit by dividing the number of credit hours being pursued by the number of credit hours considered to be full-time by the school. Example: If full-time is 12 credit hours per semester, then rate of pursuit for:

  • 6 credits is 50% (6/12=50%) Rate of pursuit is 50%. Student receives no BAH because rate of pursuit must be more than 50%.
  • 7 credits is 58% (7/12=58%) Rate of pursuit is 60%. Student receives 60% of BAH.

Housing is paid if the student's rate of pursuit is greater than 50%. Rate of pursuit determines whether a student receives the housing allowance.

Graduate Students: Six credit hours of coursework per semester are typically considered a full-time course load for graduate programs.

All students are encouraged to file FAFSA, even if you are eligible for education benefits from the VA.

As a veteran you can chose to continue to use your MGIB benefits or transfer to the new Post 9/11 GI Bill. It is recommended that individuals contact the VA at 1-888-GIBill1 to determine your best benefits.

Yes, for individuals using the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you will have up to 15 years from the date of separation to use your education benefits.

You can use the Post-9/11 GI Bill on active duty provided you have completed at least 90 days of service (excluding basic entry level & skill training). The tuition payment cannot exceed the amount not paid by military tuition assistance and/or the total amount of tuition and fees.

You will receive the books and supplies stipend (effective October 1, 2011).

Veterans who served at least 30 continuous days of active duty service and were discharged due to a service connected disability qualify for the full 100% of the Post-9/11 GI Bill. To determine your eligibility for the GI Bill, complete the VONAPP (Veterans Online Application) on the GI Bill website.

If your branch of service approves you for the transferability program, you can transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to your spouse, one or more of your unmarried children (between age 18-22 and attending school in pursuit of a program of education; who were capable of self-support reaching age 18), or any combination of the individuals.

To apply, or for more information about transferring your benefits, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.