Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content


Military Veteran Application Process

Military/Veteran Application Process

The Office of Admission is committed to assisting veterans through the application and admission process for our undergraduate and graduate programs.


Undergraduate Veteran Student Express Application Process

Saint Xavier University operates on rolling admission for our undergraduate programs for spring, fall and summer -- meaning we have no admission deadlines, except for nursing applicants. Also, as part of our express no-fee application process, the essay requirement is waived for veteran students for all majors except nursing. Individuals applying to nursing must submit a one-page essay describing their reasons for pursuing nursing.

Express Application
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.


As part of the application process, military/veteran students must also do the following:

  • Submit transcripts for all colleges attended.
  • Submit military transcripts. Veterans of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard can request the new Joint Service Transcript online. Veterans of the Air Force should request their transcript through the Community College of the Air Force. The VA requires the submission of military transcripts as part of the application process.
  • Veteran applicants are not required to submit standardized test scores such as ACT or SAT for admission.
  • If you are using your benefits at another institution, you will also need to complete the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995), which can be found on the
    Veterans Affairs website.


Contact the Office of Admission


graduate Veteran Student Express Application Process

Saint Xavier University offers graduate programs through the College of Nursing, Health Sciences and Business, and the College of Liberal Arts and Education. Due to the number of graduate programs available, admission procedures for each program may vary.

Please contact Brian Condon at 773-298-3058 or condonFREESXU for information on the express application process for graduate veteran students based on the program of your choice.

Graduate Admission

Military/Veteran Admission FAQ

Service Member Readmission Policy:

Per Chapter 3 of Volume 2 of the Federal Student Aid Handbook, and in line with the Department of Defense (DoD) Voluntary Education Partnership Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), Saint Xavier University will readmit service members and reservists if they are unable to attend class or have to suspend their studies due to service requirements. Accommodations may include options such as withdrawal or leaves of absences, as well as readmission at the conclusion of active duty. Details regarding the accommodations made will be based on a student's specific military obligation.

The Office of Admission at Saint Xavier University serves students on a rolling basis, and in this manner, students can seek readmission at frequent intervals throughout the year. At the time of readmission, the service member will be admitted at the same enrollment status, with the same credit hours previously completed, and with the same academic standing, into the next available class or classes in the student's program beginning after the student provides notice of intent to re-enroll, unless a later date is requested. If the exact program is no longer offered, admittance will be offered to the program that is most similar to that program unless the student requests or agrees to admission to a different program.

If the student is admitted to the same program, for the academic year in which the student returns the University shall assess fees and tuition consistent with the provisions of 34 CFR 668.18(a)(2)(iii)(E)(1). If the student is admitted to a different academic program, and for subsequent academic years for a student admitted to the same program the University shall assess tuition and fees consistent with the provisions of 34 CRF 668.18(a)(2)(iii)(E)(2). The University is not required to readmit the student on the student's return if: (1) after reasonable efforts by the University, the University determines that the student is not prepared to resume the program at the point where the student left off; (2) after reasonable efforts by the University, the University determines that the student is unable to complete the program; or (3) the University determines that there are no reasonable efforts the University can take to prepare the student to resume the program at the point where the student left off or to enable the student to complete the program.

Service members are encouraged to contact the Veteran Compliance Advisor at SXU for assistance with initiating specific procedures regarding withdrawals, leaves of absence, readmission, and information regarding other policies that may be particularly applicable to students in the military. The Veteran Compliance Advisor will notify the Office of Records and Registration and, upon return, the service member will meet with an academic advisor to discuss resuming their studies.

SXU Veteran Compliance Officer:
Matthew Maltese
Office of Records and Registration

Visit the GI Bill® Website to compare benefits, or contact the Veterans' Affairs Regional Office in St. Louis at 1-888-442-4551.

Visit the GI Bill® Website and apply for education benefits. Once the VA has processed your application, you will be mailed a Certificate of Eligibility which explains the percentage of benefits you are eligible to receive through the GI Bill®. Submit a copy of the Certificate to the SXU Certifying Official in the Office of Records and Registration. You can mail or fax a copy to: Records and Registration, Saint Xavier University, 3700 West 103rd Street, Chicago, IL 60655. Fax: 773-298-3003.

Military Transcripts for veterans of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard can be requested online through the new Joint Services Transcript. Veterans of the Air Force should request transcripts through the Community College of the Air Force.

All colleges and universities are required to receive military transcripts to be evaluated for any credit towards a student's curriculum.

Saint Xavier does not need a copy of your DD214. You will need to use it to help you apply for your benefits.

If you are receiving benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33), DEA (Chapter 35), or VEAP (Chapter 32), you do NOT need to certify your attendance.

If you are receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill -- Active Duty (Chapter 30) or Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), or REAP, you need to inform the VA each month that you are still enrolled at SXU. You can do this online using WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) at or by calling 877-823-2378.

Visit the GI Bill® Website to complete the "Change of Program or Place of Training" form.
VA 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
VA 22-5495 Dependents' Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Chapter 35 only)

The IVG is not available for students at SXU. It is restricted by the State of Illinois to students attending public schools in Illinois.

GPA will not affect educational benefits unless you receive a failing grade in your class.

All benefits will stop and will resume once you start school again.

Yes, all institutions require that you submit official school transcripts from prior schools attended even if you did not complete the degree plan. You can submit unofficial transcripts during the application process. Please note: If official transcripts are not submitted before your second semester at SXU, you will not be able to register for your second semester and it may affect your financial aid.

A change in enrollment can affect your BAH since your housing rate is based on your rate of pursuit (enrollment). The VA will either allow you to pay the amount in full or arrange payments. In most cases they will send out a notification of your debt with instructions on how to pay. (If you know you owe or will owe a debt and they have not notified you, do not put it off. Contact them immediately.)

An essay is not required unless you are pursuing a Nursing degree or a graduate degree. Saint Xavier reserves the right to request an essay if it will assist in making an admission decision. ALL Nursing applicants must submit a one-page essay describing your reasons for pursuing a nursing degree.

Graduate students: A personal essay is required for all graduate applications.

All education benefits are approved through the VA. Saint Xavier University offers group tutoring in content areas, drop-in-tutoring, writing assistance, skills workshops, accommodations for students with documented disabilities, testing accommodations and access to computer labs. There are also career and counseling services, and religious and spiritual support services.

Eligibility for the housing allowance (BAH) is determined by a student's rate of pursuit rounded to the nearest tenth (as of August 1, 2011). The VA no longer pays break pay (effective August 1, 2011). The VA calculates rate of pursuit by dividing the number of credit hours being pursued by the number of credit hours considered to be full-time by the school. Example: If full-time is 12 credit hours per semester, then rate of pursuit for:

  • 6 credits is 50% (6/12=50%) Rate of pursuit is 50%. Student receives no BAH because rate of pursuit must be more than 50%.
  • 7 credits is 58% (7/12=58%) Rate of pursuit is 60%. Student receives 60% of BAH.
Housing is paid if the student's rate of pursuit is greater than 50%. Rate of pursuit determines whether a student receives the housing allowance.

Graduate Students: Six credit hours of coursework per semester are typically considered a full-time course load for graduate programs.

All students are encouraged to file FAFSA, even if you are eligible for education benefits from the VA.

As a veteran you can chose to continue to use your MGIB benefits or transfer to the new Post 9/11 GI Bill®. It is recommended that individuals contact the VA at 1-888-GIBill1 to determine your best benefits.

Yes, for individuals using the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, you will have up to 15 years from the date of separation to use your education benefits.

You can use the Post-9/11 GI Bill® on active duty provided you have completed at least 90 days of service (excluding basic entry level and skill training). The tuition payment cannot exceed the amount not paid by military tuition assistance and/or the total amount of tuition and fees.

You will receive the books and supplies stipend (effective October 1, 2011).

Veterans who served at least 30 continuous days of active duty service and were discharged due to a service connected disability qualify for the full 100% of the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. To determine your eligibility for the GI Bill®, complete the VONAPP (Veterans Online Application) on the GI Bill® website.

If your branch of service approves you for the transferability program, you can transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to your spouse, one or more of your unmarried children (between age 18-22 and attending school in pursuit of a program of education; who were capable of self-support reaching age 18), or any combination of the individuals.

To apply, or for more information about transferring your benefits, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.