Military/Veteran Application Process
The Office of Admission is committed to assisting veterans through the application and admission process for our undergraduate and graduate programs.
Undergraduate Veteran Student Express Application Process
Saint Xavier University operates on rolling admission for our undergraduate programs for spring, fall and summer -- meaning we have no admission deadlines, except for nursing applicants. Also, as part of our express no-fee application process, the essay requirement is waived for veteran students for all majors except nursing. Individuals applying to nursing must submit a one-page essay describing their reasons for pursuing nursing.
For information regarding Veteran education benefits and the Yellow Ribbon Program, visit the GI Bill website.
As part of the application process, military/veteran students must also do the following:
- Submit transcripts for all colleges attended.
- Submit military transcripts. Veterans of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard can request the new Joint Service Transcript online. Veterans of the Air Force should request their transcript through the Community College of the Air Force. The VA requires the submission of military transcripts as part of the application process.
- Veteran applicants are not required to submit standardized test scores such as ACT or SAT for admission.
- If you are using your benefits at another institution, you will also need to complete
the Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Form 22-1995), which can be
found on the
Veterans Affairs website.
graduate Veteran Student Express Application Process
Saint Xavier University offers graduate programs through the School of Nursing and
Health Sciences, the Graham School of Management and the College of Arts and Sciences.
Due to the number of graduate programs available, admission procedures for each program
Please contact Brian Condon at 773-298-3058 or firstname.lastname@example.org for information on the express application process for graduate veteran students based on the program of your choice.
Military/Veteran Admission FAQs
Military Transcripts for veterans of the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard can be requested online through the new Joint Services Transcript. Veterans of the Air Force should request transcripts through the Community College of the Air Force.
All colleges and universities are required to receive military transcripts to be evaluated for any credit towards a student's curriculum.
If you are receiving benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill -- Active Duty (Chapter 30) or Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), or REAP, you need to inform the VA each month that you are still enrolled at SXU. You can do this online using WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment) at or by calling 877-823-2378.
VA 22-1995 Request for Change of Program or Place of Training
VA 22-5495 Dependents' Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (Chapter 35 only)
Graduate students: A personal essay is required for all graduate applications.
• 6 credits is 50% (6/12=50%) Rate of pursuit is 50%. Student receives no BAH because rate of pursuit must be more than 50%.
• 7 credits is 58% (7/12=58%) Rate of pursuit is 60%. Student receives 60% of BAH.
Housing is paid if the student's rate of pursuit is greater than 50%. Rate of pursuit determines whether a student receives the housing allowance.
Graduate Students: Six credit hours of coursework per semester are typically considered a full-time course load for graduate programs.
You will receive the books and supplies stipend (effective October 1, 2011).
To apply, or for more information about transferring your benefits, visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.