Skip to main contentSkip to main navigationSkip to footer content

Mental Health

If this is a mental health emergency (e.g. suicidal thoughts, thoughts of self-harm, thoughts of hurting others) call 911 or extension 3911 if you are on campus.

College Students and Mental Health

The nurse practitioners at the SXU Health Center recognize that mental health issues (including severe stress, anxiety and depression) can affect every part of a person's life, including relationships, physical health, sleep, eating habits and academic performance. We encourage any person struggling with these issues to seek help.

According to the American College Health Association's Healthy Campus 2020 survey in the spring of 2010:

  • 27.4 percent of students reported that stress adversely affected their academic performance in the past 12 months
  • 18.3 percent of students reported that anxiety adversely affected their academic performance in the past 12 months
  • 83.5 percent of students reported a diagnosis of depression and received treatment within the last 12 months
  • 5.3 percent of students reported experiencing an eating disorder/problem within the last 12 months

Mental Health Visits

  • If you would like to see a provider for a mental health issue, please call to schedule an appointment. If you would prefer not to tell the receptionist what the appointment is for, simply state that it is a personal issue and they will not ask any more questions.
  • When you arrive for your appointment you will fill out short surveys and then discuss what your concerns are.
  • We most commonly see students for anxiety and depression at the SXU Health Center. If you are diagnosed with one of these issues the provider will discuss treatment options, including referral to the SXU Counseling Center (if you haven't been there already).
  • Our nurse practitioners are licensed in family health, and therefore can prescribe medications for depression and anxiety if that is what is needed and agreed upon. However, family nurse practitioners are generally not trained in treating more complex mental health issues, such as bipolar disease, personality disorders, or psychosis. Students with these conditions who do not already have a psychiatrist will be referred to one.
  • At this time our nurse practitioners do not prescribe medications for ADHD. If you require an initial evaluation or continued treatment we will refer you to a local psychiatrist.


The SXU Health Center follows all HIPAA privacy laws. This means:

  • We do not disclose your health information to anyone (including friends, family, other medical providers, professors, etc) without your written consent.
  • If you are 18 years of age and older, we will not discuss anything pertaining to your visit without your written consent. However, if you are covered on your parent's insurance plan, your parent can inquire about claims pertaining to your visit with their insurance carrier. If this is a concern for you, please let us know so that we can discuss options.
  • Confidentiality may be broken only if a student indicates that he/she is in danger of harming him/herself or others, including potential harm to the community.
  • Please see our Patient Privacy Policy for more information.

Campus Resources

Counseling Center

  • The SXU Counseling Center is available for all enrolled SXU students.
  • Students can receive Individual Counseling, led by licensed counselors.
  • Students who are interested in making an appointment at the SXU Counseling Center should fill out the Request for Services online form.
  • Although we work closely with the SXU Counseling Center and we often refer patients to each other, we do not discuss personal health information without your written permission (see "Confidentiality").

Accessibility Resources

  • If you have a documented mental health issue that may require accommodations, please contact the Center for Accessibility Resources. You will need to self-disclose your disability or need for accommodation.
  • If a provider at the SXU Health Center is treating you for the mental health issue we are able to fill out any paperwork for the Office of Accessibility Resources. If not, you will most likely need to have your treating provider fill out any paperwork.

Outside Resources

  • Please see our Helpful Links page for links to reputable websites and local agencies specializing in mental health, trauma and addiction.
  • The SXU Counseling Center has compiled an extensive list of Community Mental Health Resources.