MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
Become an independent licensed advanced practice provider.
FNP's are nationally certified, expert health care providers.
The online Family Nurse Practitioner program from Saint Xavier University prepares professional nurses as advanced practice providers to deliver primary care services to individuals and families in a wide variety of settings.
No. 3 in the Nation
U.S. News & World Report (2024)
Why become an FNP?
An FNP provides comprehensive, high-quality, cost-effective, patient-centered primary healthcare services across the lifespan. FNPs are quickly becoming the health partner of choice for millions of Americans. FNPs have a unique approach to health services, in that they place emphasis on both care and cure. A FNP is prepared to diagnose and manage acute and chronic illness while also focusing on health promotion, wellness, disease prevention, health education and counseling. FNPs are nationally certified and are recognized as expert health care providers across the nation and can prescribe in all 50 states. Among their many services, FNPs can:
- Diagnose and treat acute and chronic conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, infections and injuries.
- Order, perform and interpret diagnostic tests such as lab work and x-rays.
- Prescribe medications and other treatments.
- Manage and coordinate a patient's care.
The baccalaureate degree program in nursing and master's degree program in nursing at Saint Xavier University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
Because of the rigorous standards necessary to earn and maintain accredited status, CCNE-accredited nursing schools like SXU's School of Nursing give prospective students greater confidence in the education they will receive. Earning a nursing degree from a CCNE-accredited program will also assure employers of the value of your education.
Ranked No. 3 in the Nation for Best Online Graduate Nursing Program (2024) by U.S. News & World Report.
These distinctions help give you confidence in the professional nursing development you will experience as a student at Saint Xavier University, and they will demonstrate the full value of your degree to employers, peers, and patients.
SXU's online Family Nurse Practitioner program emphasizes health promotion, disease prevention, and management of common
and complex health problems across the lifespan.
Practicum experiences occur during the final three semesters of the program. Students are required to complete 600 clinical hours at practice sites which include outpatient clinics and primary care practices. Areas of clinical focus include pediatrics, women's health and family medicine. SXU works collaboratively with students to secure practicum placements.
Graduates are eligible to take the family nurse practitioner certification exam administered by ANCC or AANP.
- The curriculum of the FNP program embodies the Mercy heritage and mission of Saint Xavier University: to educate persons to search for truth, to think critically, to communicate effectively and to serve wisely and compassionately in support of human dignity and the common good
- The program can be completed in three years of full-time study. Six credit-hours or more during a semester is considered a full-time courseload.
- The program format is online with scheduled, intermittent synchronous class sessions and on-campus FNP Skills Intensives which occur in the second and third year of the program. Some courses require synchronous testing with dates published in advance.
- Small class sizes, most taught by SXU full-time faculty, provide you with more personal attention.
- FNP faculty members integrate evidence-based practice throughout the curriculum and maintain active clinical practice.
- Our faculty and graduate staff will assist students in identifying appropriate practicum sites and preceptors.
- Each student is assigned a graduate advisor.
- The pass rate on the national FNP certification exam for graduates of SXU's FNP program has been 100% for the past five years.
- FNP students are eligible to apply for a variety of scholarships. Generous tuition discounts are offered to nurses employed by SXU clinical partner agencies.
- A post-master's certificate is available for students who already have a master's in nursing. Program of study is individualized.
*We accept FNP applications from Illinois, Indiana, and Wisconsin.
Please view the admission requirements to learn how to enroll and begin the application process.
Want to know more about graduate programs at Saint Xavier University? Please fill out the form below!
- Email: graduateadmissionFREESXU
What's the difference between a nurse practitioner (NP) and a physician's assistant (PA)?Read Article
"My time in the FNP program at SXU greatly enhanced my role as an RN. I currently work for the University of Chicago Medicine, a largely academic-focused organization. The knowledge I gained from my master's program gave me the confidence to participate more actively in interdisciplinary rounds, strengthening my relationship with the resident and attending physicians and creating a more cohesive interdisciplinary team for the patient. I also felt I was able to provide my patients with more competent care, and my increased knowledge of certain disease processes allowed me to suggest various treatment options to the care team that I may not have thought of before. Overall, I feel my time at SXU greatly improved my nursing skills and will continue to aid my patients in future practice."