SXU Safe Zone
The Safe Zone program at Saint Xavier University (SXU) promotes an inclusive and welcoming environment for LGBTQIA+ persons by educating allies on implicit bias, stereotypes, terminology related to sex, gender, sexual orientation, relationships, and gender identity expression, as well as privilege and the limitations of oppression.
This program helps individuals reflect on their own biases and self-identity to increase intentionality as an ally. Finally, the program aims to create a visible network of support to promote the retention and success of LGBTQIA+ students at the University.
By participating in this program, allies will be able to:
- Identify various subcommunities and subcultures within the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Articulate the differences between sex, gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation.
- Comprehend core vocabulary and inclusive language to engage in sensitive dialogue with LGBTQIA+ persons.
- Recognize their own identity, biases, and privileges and understand the effects of privilege and oppression on LGBTQIA+ individuals.
- Refer individuals to available support resources on-campus and in the community.
- Recognize opportunities for learning and growth as an ally.
All Safe Zone-trained allies at SXU attend a two-hour general training and pledge to continue their development and learning of LGBTQIA+ topics and best practices related to allyship through additional independent trainings including:
- Attending in-person or virtual events on-campus or in the community.
- Reading books related to current LGBTQIA+ issues and topics.
- Conducting research around a related topic.
- Viewing a TedTalk, lecture or attending a webinar.
As a participant in the Safe Zone program at SXU, allies pledge to:
- Respect and value all LGBTQIA+ persons as well as their stories and experiences.
- Demonstrate compassion when providing support, such as maintaining confidentiality and actively listening.
- Serve as an advocate and challenge systems of oppression that affect LGBTQIA+ communities, including heterosexism, cisgenderism, homophobia and transphobia.
- Connect students with LGBTQIA+ resources to help them achieve personal and professional excellence.
- Pursue educational opportunities to learn and grow as an advocate and ally.
- Exhibit hospitality through the creation of safe and welcoming spaces free of judgment.
- Understand the limitations of my knowledge and act with integrity to refer individuals to others when necessary.
- Appreciate the diversity of Saint Xavier University staff, faculty, and students and the enrichment individuals bring to the campus community.
Trained Allies on Campus
- Tatiana Alaraj | alarajFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-208
- Gloria Avalos | avalosFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-208
- Betty Barry | barryFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room G-200A
- Josh Bogaski-Baugh | bogaskibaughFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room A-202C
- Debra Buczkiewicz | buczkiewiczFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room A-226
- Alison Chandler | chandlerFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room A-202B
- Jenny DeVivo | devivoFREESXU | Mercy Ministry Center, Room 114
- ChrisTina Edwards | cedwardsFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-111
- Kristel Flynn | flynnFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-111
- Gricelda Gonzalez | ggonzalezFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room A-202A
- Brian Hotzfield | hotzfieldFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room A-226
- Manal Kanaan | kanaanFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room A-209
- Geralyn Loconte | loconteFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room S-412
- Molly Maley-Gaik | maleyFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room S-411
- Marina Martinez | marinamartinezFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room S-324C
- Margaret Rose McDonnell | mcdonnellFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-108
- Kennedy Murphy | kennedymurphyFREESXU | Warde Academic Center
- Siobhan Murphy | sbmurphyFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-111
- Joanna Nemeh | nemehFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-110
- Kelly Reidy | reidyFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-208
- Anahi Ruiz-Beltran | ruizbeltranFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-208
- Alejandra Sandoval Martinez | sandovalmartinezFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-111
- Katie Szymczak | szymczakFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-111
- Katy Thompson | thompsonFREESXU | Warde Academic Center, Room L-103
- Breeanna Villalpando | villalpandoFREESXU | O'Grady Center, Room 106
- Maggie Warrington | warringtonFREESXU | O'Grady Center